The foods that are low in glycemic index or GI make the super foods for the diabetes patients. These food items also provide essential elements like potassium, calcium, magnesium, fiber and vitamins A, C and E, that are needed for our body’s normal functioning, especially glucose metabolism and kidney functions. The following superfoods must be included in your diet if you are a diabetic:
- Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: These food items are low in carbohydrates and calories. These are known as powerhouse of foods. Some of them are spinach, kale and collards.
- Beans: Beans are high in fiber, potassium and magnesium. They are considered starchy but half a cup of beans has as much proteins as one ounce of meat devoid of unsaturated fats has. You can go for black beans, kidney, navy or pinto beans.
- Citrus Fruits: Fruits such as oranges, lemons, grapefruit and limes are a great source of vitamin C and soluble fiber.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are rich in vitamins, fibers and antioxidants.
- Tomatoes: No matter how you are eating the tomatoes, raw, cooked, pureed or in sauce, they are bestowed with Vitamin C and E and iron.
Tip: To make a healthy dessert, you can use the berries with low fat curd. Add 4 tablets of Kaloree1 to add sweetness in your curd. Add chopped berries (15 berries) in 350 gm of curd. Mix it well. Put the mixture in refrigerator. Savour this yummy dessert anytime.
Image Courtesy: greensuperfoods