“Classics are lovely!” This dessert is named after a bicycle race run between the two cities of France- Paris and Brest. The classic version is made with a praline-flavored center, but this pastry cream version is delicious too.”
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 1/2 cups pastry cream
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pellets Kaloree1
Preparation time-2 h
Cooking time-37 m
Ready In time-2 h 37 m
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C and place a small pan containing about 2-3 cups of hot water into the bottom of your oven to generate steam. Lightly grease a large baking sheet with shortening and then dust lightly with flour.
- Use a 10 inch pan as a template and draw a 10 inch circle onto the flour dusted sheet using a toothpick. Set aside.
- Place the 4 eggs into a small measuring cup and mix with a fork. Set aside.
- Now, combine the water, milk, salt and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. When it boils, add the flour and stir the mixture to make a paste. Keep stirring over the heat for about next 40 seconds until the paste dries a little. Place paste into a mixing bowl. Let it cool for about 4 minutes.
- Mix the paste and slowly add the beaten eggs. Place the paste into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch round decorating tip. Pipe the paste out onto the sheet pan following the 10 inch ring you outlined. Pipe a second ring around the inside of the ring. Pipe another ring on top of these two rings. Lightly paint the set of rings with the remaining 1 beaten egg. Press the sliced almonds into the paste.
- Place in the oven on the lowest shelf and bake at 220 degrees C for 20 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 190 degrees C and bake for around 12 minutes until brown. Remove from the oven, slice off the top half of the puffed ring. Remove any bits of raw dough on the inside of the ring. Replace the top and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes to crisp the dough. Cool on a rack.
- To Make The Filling: Whip the pastry cream until smooth. Place the cream along with the vanilla into a bowl and beat on high until soft peaks are formed. Add in the 2 Kaloree1 pellets and beat a little more. Fold the pastry cream in with the whipped cream and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a tip. Pipe the cream mixture into the ring and then replace the top. If you wish to make it a bit sweeter then sprinkle with additional powdered Kaloree1 pellets.
Your Paris Brest is ready to be served now. Enjoy the healthy dessert.